Debra Cerda began working in the water industry in 1997, as an environmental technician for the City of Austin’s Watershed Protection Department. Participated in the Barton Springs Study, Jollyville Plateau Salamander Study, and various routine studies for environmental impact assessment.
- Performing chemical, biological and physical testing of streams and springs, as well as aquatic macroinvertebrate identification classification.
- Interpret water quality, flow and biological data.
- Operate and calibrate field and lab testing equipment.
- Conduct training in sampling and analysis.
- Organize and prepare reports and memos based on data evaluation.
Debra worked as a Surface Water Operations and Maintenance Technician for the City of Austin’s Davis Water Treatment Plant, and holds a Class C Surfacewater Operator:
- Collect samples, complete chemical tests and calculate chemical dosages calculations, and perform process quality control testing.
- Analyze, calculate, interpret data and prepare daily reports.
- Conduct periodic checks of water pumping operational equipment. Monitor flow and pressure rates.
- Operate and monitor instrument control panels. Calibrate, adjust, maintain and repair treatment and pumping equipment and facilities.
Ten years as a Drinking Water Quality Specialist for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Provided technical assistance to public water systems throughout the state of Texas, to ensure compliance with the drinking water standards, primarily chemical monitoring.
- Determined compliance for the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR), Nitrate/Nitrite and Disinfection Byproducts programs, assist PWS representatives with implementation and optimization of disinfection treatment to reduce disinfection byproducts and nitrification issues.
- Performed data entry and quality control of compliance and inventory data through strict adherence to agency policy.
- Managed compliance and inventory data in multiple Ms Access and Oracle products. Write, test, and deploy applications using MS Access, Visual Basic and SQL.
- Rulemaking team member supporting creation and adoption of new federally mandated regulations into Title 30 Texas Administrative Code Chapter 290, as well as supporting guidance documents
- external web page development and support for Public Drinking Water Section
- Chair of Office of Permitting, Registration and Remediation Training Subcommittee Committee chair of the Office of Water Deputy Advisory Committee
- past Texas representative on the U.S. EPA’s Drinking Water Academy Advisory Board
- review data and prepare reports for EPA, management, legislative representatives, media, regulated community, and the general public
- act as enforcement liaison in implementing the agency’s Enforcement Response Policy (ERP)
Director of Sales and Logistics for a groundwater diagnostics company, performing vertical well flow and quality profiling for selective extraction.